Thursday, August 26, 2010

Who's job is it?!

That's Not My Job
There is a story told about four people named Somebody, Everybody, Anybody, and Nobody. There was one important job to be done. Everybody was sure that Somebody would do it, but Nobody did it. Somebody got angry about it because it was Everybody's job. Everybody thought Anybody could do it. Nobody realized that Everybody wouldn't do it. It ended up that Everybody blamed Somebody when Nobody did what Anybody could have done.

Sound familiar? I think that those are pen names for my four children! Keeping house with 6 people in it is not an easy task, but it is one that must be done, and it is a constant.  I once received a wall hanging from my husband's Great Aunt that read "Cleaning house while the children are growing, is like shoveling snow while it's still snowing".  SO true, however, if the snow is gonna keep on for 18 years, then you're going to have to shovel it at some point, even if it is still snowing.  And like a snow fence, children can be put to work to help contain some of the mess. Obviously the big ones, (my big ones are 10 and 18), can do pretty much anything I ask, such as washing the dishes, doing laundry, cleaning out the mud room, etc. But don't forget that you must train children to do the work... so start them young. My two youngest, 2 & 5, also have jobs they can do. My 5 year old can bag up the recycles to be taken in. The 2 year old can pick up the toys and put them in the box or pick up the books and put them in the bag. He will also throw away trash that has ended up on the floor.  But when you have a larger family, everybody has to pitch in to get the job done or eventually you will just get snowed in!  HAPPY CLEANING!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How true Sarah...that's how your dad and I were raised...we all had our jobs to do on Saturday. Mom posted a list on the bulletin board in the kitchen. Even the little ones had jobs to do...Teaches the work ethic!